The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, on Monday revealed that about 700 Boko Haram insurgents around the fringes of Sambisa Forest in Borno, have surrendered.
Buratai stated this during a Photo/Arts Exhibition, which was part of activities to mark the week-long Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL).
“Some others are in the process to surrender, This is a clear indication that the Boko Haram war is clearly being won.
“The situation is being awaited; more details will come from the Theatre Command in Maiduguri later in the day.
“I congratulate Nigerians as well because I know what we went through during the Boko Haram insurgency and definitely, it will be a great sigh of relief as these terrorists are finally capitulating,” Buratai said.
Army spokesman, Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, added that 70 of the surrendered Boko Haram terrorists were already being profiled.
He explained that “preliminary investigation showed that among them were key commanders and influential members of the Boko Haram.
“One of whom matches suspect number 225 on Boko Haram terrorists most wanted list released by the Nigerian Army.
“So far, the surrendered terrorists have been making useful statements and it is expected that many more will surrender,’’ Usman said.