A news release from the San Francisco Department of Public Health confirms that a woman died after consuming poisonous herbal tea purchased in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
According to officials, people should throw away tea purchased from Sun Wing Wo Trading Company.
The woman, who was in her 50s, became “critically ill” in February after drinking tea made from leaves she purchased at the trading company.
Shortly after drinking the tea, she experienced “weakness and life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms,” which required resuscitation and immediate medical attention. She remained hospitalized and died in the hospital on Saturday, according to public health officials.