Fidelity Header Ads
Gadget

Why you must stop using your phone while bathing

People use their smartphones at the most absurd of places; but there are places we must not use our phones as a Texas teen died Sunday morning while using her smartphone in a bathtub, according to reports.

14 years old Madison Coe was electrocuted taking a bath at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico.

Her grandmother Donna O’Guinn said the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the phone as it was being charged.

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened,” KCBD reports Madison’s grandma to have said.

Despite admitting it was a tragic accident that could happen to anyone, Ms O’Guinn said it’s now her mission to bring awareness to the issue.

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging,” she said.

Ms O’Guinn said a Facebook post about the accident continues to be shared, which is a welcomed response.

“It’s overwhelming to realise that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody,” she said.

The 14-year-old, who is from Lubbock, Texas, had recently graduated from eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School.

“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship Independent School District mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,” district officials said in a statement as reported by KCBD.

 

 

Comments

comments

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment