Alleged kidnap: Dino Melaye provides evidence of Police statement
Following his alleged kidnap, Senator Dino Melaye has provided evidence of Police statement that the matter of his kidnap was statutorily reported to the Nigerian Police.
TheNewsGuru reports Senator Melaye was allegedly kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Thursday morning with the Police saying they are not aware of the development.
“One is appalled that police will deny the reportage of my attack by my brother yesterday morning. This is the statement of my brother,” Melaye stated with a snapshot of the police statement posted on his official Twitter handle.
One is appalled that police will deny the reportage of my attack by my brother yesterday morning. This is the statement of my brother. pic.twitter.com/SawEHikWaS
— Senator Dino Melaye (@dino_melaye) July 27, 2018
“My name is Melaye Moses of No 4 Oando Close, Wuse Zone, Abuja. I am 37 years old. My brother, Sen. Dino Melaye and I were travelling to attend the ongoing court case in Lokoja.
“Just few metres from Gwagwalada, we were attacked by some armed men who blocked the road by the edge of the road started shooting at our vehicles as a result of this our cars started turning back I followed same.
“This happened around 8:00-8:10am but I started slowing down when I noticed movement on the other side of the road. Then I could not see my brother’s vehicle behind. I tried all his numbers and the driver’s own.
“They both not going through. I started calling my family members and drove straight to Police station to report the matter,” the police statement as signed by Moses Melaye on Thursday read.
TheNewsGuru reports it was Moses, the Senator’s brother, who informed Senator Ben Bruce, who then escalated the matter.
“I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, @dino_melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Lets be on the watch out. Will keep you updated,” Bruce tweeted on Thursday morning.
The alleged abduction forestalled his arraignment on Thursday.
The Police, in a statement by Police spokesperson Jimoh Moshood, said the Force Headquarters only read of the news of Mr Melaye in the media, but has no unique details about the development.
“The Nigeria Police Force have not received any complaint or report in any of its Police Stations or Divisions throughout the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) or any other State of the Federation of the kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye from any of his family member, friend, associate or staff to indicate that the Senator has been kidnapped.
“The attention of the police was drawn to the report of the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye in some sections of the media,” Mr Moshood, an acting deputy police commissioner, said.
The spokesperson, however, said investigation would be conducted into the matter, urging anyone with actionable information to pass such to authorities.
The police have “commenced investigation into the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye, and wish (sic) to implore any of his family members, relatives or friends who witnessed the kidnap or have information about the purported kidnap of the senator to report the incident at the nearest police station to assist the police in the investigation,” Mr Moshood said.
The statement contradicted what Gideon Ayodele, a spokesperson for Mr Melaye, had earlier issued to newsmen.
The aide said the police in Gwagwalada, a suburb of Abuja, were informed about the alleged kidnap on Thursday morning.
Meanwhile, TheNewsGuru reports the Senator had on Friday morning, barely 24 hours after, regained freedom, and returned from what he referred to as “the wilderness”.
“I thank God once again for escaping another dangerous attack. I also thank Nigerians for their prayers and show of Love. Spent 11 hours in the wilderness traumatized but God preserved me. God is the best and in whom ONLY I trust. They will continue to try. WE SHALL OVERCOME,” Melaye tweeted shortly after his release.