Revered actor and thespian Olu Jacobs turns 75 today, July 11, 2017.Born Oludotun Bayeiwu Jacobs in Abeokuta Ogun State, Olu Jacobs was trained at prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London in the ’60s.
He has starred in over 120 Nollywood films as well as British Television series. He is considered one of Nigeria’s most talented actors, alongside his wife Joke. The iconic actor returned to Nigeria in the ’80s and has been one of the most popular actors in the country since then.
- Oludotun Baiyewu Jacobs was born to parents from Egba Alake. He spent his early childhood in Kano and attended Holy Trinity School where he was a member of the debating and drama societies.
- In the 1980s Jacobs starred in several international films some of which include John Irvin’s war film The Dogs of War, Roman Polanski’s adventure-comedy Pirates (1986) and the family-adventure film Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend.
- Olu Jacobs was honoured with the Industry Merit Award for outstanding achievements in acting at the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
- Jacobs is married to another veteran actress, Joke Silva. The couple have two children together.
- He mentioned in an interview that his first movie was produced by AA production; the film was titled “Vigilante”.
- He mentioned in an interview that his parents did not support his dream of becoming an actor.
- In 2007 he won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role.